Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Erin Plasch's 20% project

For my 20% project I worked on screencasting.  I wanted a way for kids to access algorithms for my math classes since I do not see them 5 days a week.  It would also help me give parents support who are always telling me they want to know the "new way" of teaching various math methods.  As I investigated the different online options, I chose Jing.  It seemed to me that most people liked it.  In hindsight, I should have gone with a different program because of the 5 minute time limit.  It became a problem later in my project.  In addition, there are other options that do not require you to pay a fee to upload to You Tube.  After some consideration, I decided to have my 5th grade students do the actual "lessons" on Jing.  I think it was a good lesson for them, they chose a topic to screen cast that was difficult for them to learn.  I got positive feedback from them on the lessons.  Technically, there were issues having that many students screen cast, especially since I do not have the students all day (and the flexibility that comes with that).  Overall, the project went well, but I think I will be recreating the screen casts myself before posting.

I think my project displays how I grew in 2 areas:
3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society. Teacher:
d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning
5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources. Teacher:
c. evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.
I found this project to open my eyes to the possibilities that technology can have.  Being a part time teacher I am not able to connect with my students on a daily basis.  Technology such as screen casting & Moodle can help me have a more constant presence in their daily activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment