Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Erin Plasch 20% Project Part II

As a continuation of my 20% project from the previous course I continued my work with screen casting.  In Part I of my project I worked to learn screen casting and created an opportunity for my students to create screen casts teaching a topic in math that was difficult for them to learn.  It was a great learning experience for all.  This course, I focused on finding screen casting resources to put on my website for students & parents to use when working on math at home.  I get a lot of feedback from parents that they would like to know "how" I am teaching a concept.  The curriculum we use does not provide a parent handbook or Student Reference Book; so I think this website will be a good resource for students to use when they need to review a topic.  Here is a link to the website of links: https://sites.google.com/a/apps.edina.k12.mn.us/gifted-education-services-at-concord/home/student-links/screencasts

The main standard I believe my project met was:

2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:


b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.





This standard speaks to how my project will allow students to have the ability to manage their own learning.  Students are assessing their own progress by determining which videos they need to watch and how many times they need to view any one specific video before moving on to their independent practice.  In addition, this was an example of me designing an authentic learning experience using contemporary tools.  In the future I hope to create some of my own screen casts of lessons I am giving in the classroom.

The other standard I think my project fits is:

3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society. Teacher:

d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning






This standard is demonstrated through my searches for previously made screen casts.  I mostly used Khan Academy, but many of the topics I wanted were not in their database, so I had to search You Tube and Google to find other screen casts that were appropriate, correct and acceptable quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment