Monday, June 13, 2011

Kaela Loo 20% Part II


     Throughout the course I decided to work on creating two moodle courses...one for my Language Arts course and one for 9th grade Advisory teachers.  The reason I chose to focus on moodle for my 20% is because throughout the school year I found myself saying many times, "if only I had started with moodle linking this assessment or project would have been so much more efficient".  My progress throughout the course on my 20% came with the theme "slow and steady wins the race" I was doing a lot of trial and error.  For my advisory course I wanted to make sure I created an outline of what would happen day by day throughout the school year.  By doing this teachers would have an easy way to access a schedule for advisory.  Furthermore, I wanted to add resources and information for teachers regarding the "middle school" philosophy and perspective behind having an effective advisory program.  Halfway through the course I realized trying to create two moodle courses was going to take much more time than I thought.  So I spent most of my time working on the advisory course.  I did begin an introductory activity for students on my Language Arts course page but all in all most of this work will be continued over the summer.  I am happy with my accomplishments and have a great foundation for each course already started because of this 20% project.  See screen shots of work here! 

2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

     Since I created moodle courses for teachers and students I do feel that is a springboard that will allow students to become active in their goals within a technology enriched environment.  Specifically I spent some time adding resources and an activity on the advisory moodle course that talks about goal setting and creating SMART goals.  Students will be encouraged to explore goal setting throughout the resources I have provided online.  I think the way students learn about SMART goals through the advisory resources and moodle course (a technology lens) is relevant and will positively impact student experiences.

 3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning

     In order for students to explore and utilize technology it is important for them to have an avenue that provides experience with technology.  The beginning of the year moodle quiz I put together throughout my 20% project will start the year off with students jumping right into the technology experience.  I am modeling using technology to communicate and learn about one another by creating a moodle course that solicits information from students.  I will access this information and put it into another web tool presentation to further demonstrate how one avenue of technology allows one the ability to utilize and take yet another avenue in the form of technology.  As I provide experiences within moodle and other web tool presentations students will see in action how digital age work and learning presents itself through their teacher.

5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership

     By working on my moodle courses I have been able to reflect a lot as a professional.  I am continuously monitoring and adjusting as a teacher.  By utilizing moodle I believe I will be more efficient in my monitoring and adjusting and thus continue to be a reflective and relevant educator.  This 20% project put me in the shoes of my students when it comes to trying out new technology.  There has to be room for trial and error along with time to reflect and restructure as needed.  By continuously working on my moodle courses I believe I have allowed and will continue to allow for continuous and relevant improvement in my courses.  I do believe my experience, as the "student working with new technology" will help me plan differently as I embrace technology with my students.  I will allow the growth curve to take place in their learning just like I was allowed to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment