Monday, June 13, 2011

Kany Seck's 20% Project Part II

During the first class, we had to list all the assessments we use in class with our students. That activity was a true eye-opener. I realized that there was not much variety in the assessments we used. I decided to devote my 20% project on diversifying the assessment tools I used. I changed some of the reading evaluations to Google form and even added Flubaroo for easy grading. One of the biggest successes I had was creating a reflection sheet that my students used after the math end-of-unit evaluations to explain the challenging items on the test and why they did not have the correct answer. This was very empowering to students. Instead of copying the correct answers, they actually spent time figuring out why some of the items were difficult for them. I had my last Alt Comp observation during this class and presented a lesson related to my 20% project. I had students "sponsor" questions from the MCA3 Item Sampler and present their question to the class during my observation. They not only had to solve the problem but they also had to justify their choice and show that the other options were wrong. This was a perfect opportunity to showcase how to establish a culture for learning which was the focus of the observation.
This 20% project allowed me to meet the following NETS.S Standards:
b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.
d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning
Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources. Teacher c. evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.

I did reflect on my current practices as they relate to assessments and felt the need to change , vary and revamp my former assessment tools. I also spent time learning about other ways of assessing students and integrating reflection after the regular evaluations. I shared the work I did with my grade level teammate but also with a colleague from another elementary school. 

Here is the Google form I use for one of our reading assessments:
Link to the end-of-year 360 survey that I transferred into a Google form:

Here is a screenshot of the reflection sheet I used after the math evaluations. This was my favorite accomplishment from this 20% project.
Réflexion sur mon évaluation (R!)

Voici une question de l’évaluation que je n’ai pas trouvée.
Copie la question: ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Voici les raisons pour lesquelles je n’ai pas trouvé la bonne réponse.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Voici la bonne réponse.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Coche la phrase qui décrit le mieux ton niveau de compréhension.

o       Je pense que la prochaine fois que j’ai cette question je vais trouver la bonne réponse.

o       Je pense que j’ai besoin de passer plus de temps à travailler sur cette question.



No comments:

Post a Comment