Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Katie Supina's 20% Project Part II

For my 20% project for this course I worked on several smaller projects based on my needs that particular week.  One week our students were starting their unit on ancient Rome so I hunted around for short video clips that would enhance my lessons.  I found several on the History Channel website and linked them to my video resources google doc.  The following week I created a Google Doc based on my SchoolView training.  Then I worked on creating some Quizlets and found video resources for a reading lesson based on NASA’s trip to Mars.
My final weeks of my 20% project were spent developing a summer reading program for my 6th grade reading students.  I wanted to come up with a way to encourage them to read more than 8 books over the summer.  I started by finding resources at the local Hennepin County Libraries that might appeal fo my 6th graders.  Then I searched reading blogs to see if a reading blog would be a fit for me.  After looking through several reading blogs, I created my own summer reading blog that would track my reading goals and progress.  I introduced this blog to my students during the last week of school and so far I have almost 100 views on the blog.  So someone is checking to see if I am going to reach my goal of 15 books this summer! I hope that the blog is a reminder to keep finding great books over the summer.
Through my 20% project I showed that I am able to “develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own goals” (NETS*T #2).  Students developed their own reading goals based on books that fit their personalities and interests.  Through my blog they will have access to resources that will hopefully enhance their summer reading and keep them working towards their goals.
Throughout my 20% work I continued to hunt for video resources that would enhance my current lessons.  I found short video clips based on both Rome and Sojourner’s trip to Mars.  There were several videos available for both of these topics, but I spent quite a bit of time analyzing the purpose of each video resource.  NETS*T Standard #3 explains that teachers need to “locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning”.  I believe that by adding in short video clips it helps all learners gain a better understanding of the topic, especially students that are not coming into the lesson with any previous knowledge. 
NETS*T Standard #4 pushes teachers to engage in professional growth and model lifelong learning.  I think that my reading blog exhibits my growth in this area.  My students see me as a reader and throughout the year we had numerous great conversations about our goals as readers.  Through my blog, students will be able to keep tabs on my reading goals and progress.  I hope that this shows them that learning doesn’t stop the first week in June.  They are still readers over the summer and so am I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment