Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mary Howe 20% Project Part II

I have been overwhelmed with papers and electronic files all over the place.  I teach in multiple classrooms in multiple buildings, and I have computers in different places as well as my laptop at home.  Some of this mess was created because the curriculum has changed, but also I have been revising how I approach different chapters over the past several years.  As a result, I have various copies and versions of different worksheets, notesheets, powerpoints, tests, etc.  My goal was to organize both paper and electronic files and consolidate everything.  It has been a monumental task, and I cannot claim victory yet, but I have accomplished a great deal!  At least one building is completely organized and I have only a few chapters left at the other building.  As for electronic files, I have made sure to add all my worksheets, notesheet, powerpoints, etc. to my google page, so even though I still have some work to finish up on the H drive and R drive, I do at least have one place where all my files are organized and up to date.  I have also been organizing things on my laptop at home, adding things to the google page from home, deleting files, and saving things to a flashdrive.  After a few scares about the S drive and the R drive being accidentally deleted, I will sleep more soundly knowing I have copies of everything saved, stored, and organized!  It will also be helpful in sharing materials with the new teacher next year. 

I have been struggling this year with how much I can expect students to be responsible for their own materials.  I teach 6th through 9th grade, so I cannot expect the same level of independence across all these grades.  I have wondered, though, given how comfortable students are with technology, and how much they are expected to use technology for all their classes, how much I can expect them to access what they missed when they were absent, print off copies of lost or forgotten papers, etc.  Organizing all of my files has made it much easier for me to share with students electronically all the classroom resources.  I hope that creating the google page and making available to students all the resources we have used in class and for homework has encouraged them to take a more active role in their education.  I have also found it easier to share with them websites for projects and research.  Since everything is in one place, they seem to be more willing to go to the google page, and they know where to look to find information. 

NETS*T standard 3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning:  "model and facilitate effective use of current emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support and research and learning"
NETS*T standard 2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments: "develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress"

My project was mostly a housekeeping project, but now that I am organized and have a better idea of how to store my files for easier access, I have been more willing to explore other avenues for students to submit work, like the Z drive.  I have several projects from this year now saved so I can show examples of projects to students next year, or even just have students look at, evaluate, translate, or expand on past projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment