Saturday, June 11, 2011

Shawn's 20% project

How much do I love screen casting and screen cast-o-matic?  Let me count the ways!!!  Hey,I I'm even not minding the sound of my own voice. Here are the reasons I love screen casting and engaged in all things screen-cast-o-matic for my 20% project.

1.   I love the fact that I can inject my personality into a presentation.  You know, I don't take myself too seriously, and that's a good thing.  I think people should be comfortable with who they are.  I am passionate about kids and Edina, and success and RtI and technology and all things teaching and all things admin...but...I realize that I am but a human, flawed at best. I want people to know that I accept them for who they are but I will also expect great things from them.  I just like the relational part that I think screen-casting brings.
2.  I love the fact that screen-casting is efficient. If someone misses a meeting or if I am creating a course or PBL...screen casting gets a lot of info to folks in an efficient, 21st century manner.  Bravo!

3.  It sure beats a boring old powerpoint.
4.   It sure beats a boring old Shawn in person!!

5.   It plays to my creative side...I feel squelched sometimes in my data role...I am not a concrete-sequential type.  I consider myself more a creative type, so this works for me.
Here are some of my latest creations...sorry, in advance, for being corny. I have done more...these are examples.

Standardizing Grading, part I

Driving Miss Data, Part I
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cX1X0gq1s

Driving Miss Data, Part II
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cX1X0Mq1M

Some google presentations I have prepared for future screen-casts.  Because, you have to create the presenatation before you can screen-cast, at least in my world you do.

https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0ARPmPvHTPzzhZGc5ZG4yZ3pfOTQwY3czd3E1Y2I&hl=en_US

https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0ARPmPvHTPzzhZGc5ZG4yZ3pfOTY5Y3hxOG1yZG0&hl=en_US
************************************************************************************
2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:

b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own   I

I think I am becoming far more comfortable with myself and my tech comfort when engaging in screen casting.  I really like the flexibility that screen casting affords me and those who are the learners of these concepts/activities.  You can screen cast at home and learn at home. How cool is that? I try to put together screen casts which are in context to our collective learning and school goals.

3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society. Teacher:

d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning

The entire reason that I am in the Tech cohort is to model digital age learning for VVMS staff and other admin. in Edina.  I noticed that my screen cast on student learning plans had 86 hits…obviously, someone is watching it.  I am always a teacher…this cohort has allowed and afforded me the opportunity to continue learning and be a better teacher.
    
5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources. Teacher
c. evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.

I hope that I am a leader at VVMS in technology. I consider that especially important as we make the transition to School view and standardizing our grading practices.  My ability to lead is a direct result of my modeling.  I think that my cohort members are sharing in this co-leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment